Abraham Rathier built this stone 2 ½ storey building at 193-195 Cumberland Street at Bruyère, to house a grocery store on the lower level and residence above circa 1862. Although many residents of Lowertown during this period were in the stone cutting profession, this building is one of the few stone buildings built in Lowertown at this time, due to the high costs associated with building in stone.
The building is in the Georgian Vernacular style and the entrance may have originally appeared in the centre of the ground level façade. The roof dormers and angled corner entrance appear to be later additions. In the 1870s corner entrances became popular for stores and banks to draw-in clients from the cross streets.
The designated heritage property plaque affixed to the building reads:
This Lowertown stone building was first owned by Abraham Rathier who operated a store on the ground floor.
Location: 193-195 Cumberland Street, Lowertown